It is increasingly difficult to discern what is true and verifiable information versus what has been put out to purposely misinform and misguide. Too often Donald Trump supporters misrepresent what we believe in. Below is a list of topics and links to brief posts that will help you understand and talk to undecided voters in person or online to help make sure they are not mislead by Trump supporters and those who do not support basic human rights and environmental justice.
- Criminal Justice System– The criminal justice system must work the same for everyone regardless of race or income level. We must eliminate mass incarceration. We believe in eliminating for profit prisons (Warren plan) and cash bail.
- The Economy– If you work hard, you should be able to support your family. We believe in a living wage. We also believe in increasing the Federal Minimum wage which is currently only $7.25 per hour. If the minimum wage had kept up with inflation since 1968, it would be over $19 an hour today. If the minimum wage is higher, employers in other industries requiring more skilled labor would have to raise their wages in order to be competitive for employees. We believe the next president should make sure a booming economy positively impacts all wage earners.
- Elections– The best candidates with the best ideas and experience should win elections, not the ones who simply have the most money. We do not believe that money is speech, and therefore we call for a Constitutional Amendment that would nullify the Supreme Court’s Citizen’s United decision.
- Environment– A clean environment, and especially clean drinking water, is a human right. The U.S. should rejoin the international community and the Paris Agreement, so we can lead on this issue of climate change by reducing carbon emissions from the overuse of fossil fuels.
- Health Care– Everyone deserves affordable health care, and getting sick or injured shouldn’t cause anyone to go broke. Repealing the Affordable Care Act would especially put people with pre-existing conditions in danger of losing their health care.
- Higher Education– Higher education should be affordable. Our next President needs to deliver a solution to the out of control costs of higher education as well as a remedy for those drowning in student loan debt.
- Immigration– We believe that all non-indigenous Americans are immigrants here. We also believe that immigrants help power our economy and grow our understanding of the world. We believe in building bridges, not walls.
- Poverty and Inequality– The skewed distribution of wealth in this country is destructive to our democracy. A strong middle class is key to our economy. We must address poverty in order to succeed.
- Public Education– Everyone deserves a high quality public education. Privatizing education through school vouchers will lead to funding cuts to public schools and cause them great harm.
- Social Security & Medicare– Social Security & Medicare are not “entitlements” to be taken away. Rather, they are programs that we paid into and we should make sure that they are still available when we need them.
- Systemic Racism– Racism is still a huge problem in the United States in the 21st century. We must take a close look at ALL issues of where race has been a factor and work to repair the bad mistakes of our past.
- Taxes– Individuals and corporations who are thriving should pay their fair share in taxes. We should take the cap off of the Social Security tax to help make sure the program stays solvent for our children and grandchildren. We should also tax capital gains at a rate similar to other forms of income. [Candidate opinions]
- Transparency– We believe in greater transparency in all areas of government. We believe in sunshine laws that make sure we know who is influencing our elected officials. We support information literacy and public access to the Internet as a civic right so citizens may participate in and have access to government in today’s “born digital” world.
- Voting– Voting should be easier, not harder. We believe that every vote should count the same, and that candidates should have to campaign everywhere, which is why we should eliminate the Electoral College. [Candidate opinions]
- War Economy and Militarism– We must stop spending more on bombs than babies. The federal military budget must be pared back and monitored for waste, fraud, and abuse. We must solve our problems at home before making the decision to fight another useless war.
- Woman’s Rights– Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights. Women must have equal pay, freedom from sexual and domestic violence, access to healthcare and decisions regarding their own bodies, equal rights in family law to protect their families, however they are formed. [Women’s March Principles]
Below are links to organizations with information on global issues, national issues, statewide issues, regional issues and local issues. The topics include the environment, climate change, racism, equity and inclusion, poverty, democracy, classism, indigenous rights, military industrial complex, school to prison pipeline, and so many more. These groups are all working toward solutions.